The product in review is the new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros from Apple. This updated line features new M3 chips and a Space Black chassis. The 14-inch MacBook Pro starts at $1,599, while the 16-inch version with an M3 Pro chip starts at $2,499. These new MacBook Pros boast significant performance boosts, hardware acceleration for ray tracing and mesh shading, and an improved display.
Likes and Dislikes
- Improved Performance: The new M3 chips in these MacBook Pros deliver significant performance boosts. A 14-inch M3 MacBook Pro is 60 percent faster than a 13-inch M1 model, and a laptop with an M3 Pro chip offers 40 percent faster performance than an M1 Pro MacBook Pro.
- Advanced Display: The Liquid Retina XDR displays on the new M3 MacBook Pros can now display SDR content 20 percent brighter than before.
- Hardware Acceleration: The M3 chips support hardware acceleration for both ray tracing and mesh shading, a massive improvement for gamers, animators, and 3D modelers.
- Price: Despite the new features and improvements, the starting price for these MacBook Pros might still be a bit steep for some consumers.
- Design: Aside from the new Space Black color option, the design of the laptops remains largely the same. Some users might have appreciated more noticeable design changes.
Comparison with Other Products
Compared to other laptops in its category, the new MacBook Pros stand out due to their superior performance and advanced features. The M3 chips offer significant speed improvements over previous models and even outperform the fastest Intel-based MacBook Pros. The hardware acceleration for ray tracing and mesh shading is also a unique feature not commonly found in other laptops. However, the price point is higher than many other laptops in the market.
I would recommend the new MacBook Pros to professionals who need a high-performance laptop for tasks like video editing, 3D modeling, and gaming. It's also ideal for Apple enthusiasts who want to enjoy the latest technology from the brand.