X Premium is a subscription-based service launched by Elon Musk in November 2022. For $8 per month or $84 per year, users receive a blue checkmark by their name and additional features like editing a post for up to an hour and cutting ads in half. The service also allows users to restrict replies to their posts to verified users only.
1. Verified status: X Premium provides a verification checkmark, which can enhance the credibility of the user.
2. Extra features: The ability to edit posts for up to an hour and reduced ads are beneficial for regular users.
3. Reply restriction: The feature to limit replies to verified users only can help control the quality of interactions on the platform.
1. Paywall: Verification, which was initially a free feature to confirm the identity of notable figures, is now behind a paywall.
2. Potential for misuse: The paid system has led to impersonations and the approval of bots.
3. Stigma: Many users have been criticized for paying for the service, leading to a feature to hide the checkmark and subscription status.
Compared to other social media platforms, X Premium introduces a unique monetization strategy by charging for verification and additional features. While platforms like Twitter and Facebook offer verification for free, X Premium's paid model could potentially lead to higher credibility. However, the backlash from users and potential for misuse are significant drawbacks.
I would recommend X Premium to regular users of the platform who desire enhanced credibility and additional features. However, users should be aware of the potential stigma and misuse associated with the service.